Instructions for applicants whose first degree was taken OUTSIDE Italy.
Please check the deadlines (see below) for this application process.
I. Enter the University of Pavia application portal HERE.
Once in the portal, click on the “BECOME AN APPLICANT” button and enter your personal details to register. After the registration is complete, an applicant code will be assigned to you. Write it down in order to sign in again later.
II. Choose the World Politics and International Relations programme and click on “APPLY NOW”, fill in the required forms and prepare the scanned copies of the documents you will be asked to upload in the “checklist” section of the application.
Upload only the requested following documents:
1. A scan of your VALID identity card or passport (preferably with at least two years until the expiration date);
2. A scan of an academic transcript supplied by your university (or, where not available, a scan of a statement signed by yourself) containing the individual exams taken (or to be taken) for your first degree, the marks for individual exams already taken, and (where available) numbers of credits for each exam;
3. A list of relevant individual exams that count towards your satisfying our minimal entry requirements. Compile this list by filling in a table that you can download here.
4. A curriculum vitae, including a photograph of yourself;
5. A scan of your English language certificate (see minimal entry requirements), or else of certified confirmation that your first degree was in English;
All applicants (of all nationalities) must pay 35 EUR of application fee in order for their application to be considered. Instructions on how to proceed with the payment will be sent to your email address once you start your application.
During the procedure you will be further asked to:
a) write a brief motivation letter;
b) arrange for two academic references. You will indicate in the application procedure the names and the email addresses of two referees who have had some experience of teaching you; they will each receive an automatic email request upon your submission of the application. Be sure to contact your referees before adding their names to the application. Please also send them our instructions. References should arrive by the relevant application deadline.
III. When your application is complete, click on “SUBMIT”. Please note that the evaluation process will be carried out only for submitted applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Once you submit the application, you will be formally registered for the admission interview, which will take place shortly after the relevant application deadline.
Application period and deadlines
- 1st call: 15/11/2021 – 25/11/2021 results by 20/12/2021
- 2nd call: 01/12/2021 – 10/01/2022 results by 15/02/2022
- 3rd call 15/01/2022 – 25/02/2022 results by 31/03/2022
- 4th call: 01/03/2022 – 10/04/2022 results by 15/05/2022
- 5th call: 15/04/2022 – 31/05/2022 results by 30/06/2022
The appointments for the interviews will be communicated to applicants by email shortly after the application deadline.
During the online application procedure, applicants are asked to specify whether they prefer to be interviewed in person (in Pavia) or online (normally via zoom). In the latter case, interviews must use the video as well as the audio facility.
The interview, held in English, will include some questions designed to assess applicants’ analytical, argumentative, and critical abilities. The interview will not normally presuppose specialist knowledge in particular disciplines.
Applicants are normally notified about the outcome of the application process within a week after the interview. Successful applicants are then provided with instructions about enrollment.
Applicants should be aware that, in accordance with the statute of the degree program, enrollment in World Politics and International Relations carries with it a commitment to attend all classes for the degree programme’s core courses.
How and where to take an English Language test
You can register to take the TOEFL test here: http://www.ets.org/toefl
You can register to take the IELTS test here: http://www.ielts.org/
Full instructions are provided at these websites. In most localities around the world, there are frequent opportunities to take TOEFL and IELTS (often as frequent as once a week).
Pavia students have opportunities to take English tests (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) and Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency (CPE)) for reduced fees at the University’s Centro Linguistico (once a year, usually in June). There are also regular opportunities to take the TOEFL or IELTS in Milan.